Practicum Intern (Salary £20K p.a.)
We are seeking an intern to join our dynamic Engineering Team for 12 to 18 months. The intern will benefit from supervision by company CEO and lead product designer, Wayne Howell.
Suitable candidates should be enrolled on, or have recently completed, a degree course in Electrical and Electronic Engineering or similar. The ability to work independently as well as working closely with others in a small team is essential.
Candidates should have good time management skills, be able to work through problems and propose solutions. They will need to communicate clearly and collaborate with production, design and software team members to solve issues.
Candidates will require a good understanding of components such as diodes, transistors, MOSFETS and regulators, and have some familiarity with Altium and LT spice software. Knowledge of the Art-Net, DMX512, RDM and DALI protocols would be advantageous. An understanding of Pic microprocessors, MP-Lab and low level programming will be a benefit.
Typical tasks include the following:
- Using Altium to design new schematics for products; this also involves managing the Altium schematic libraries
- Creating new PCB layout designs using Altium
- Applying design for manufacture techniques to circuit layouts to allow for cost effective manufacture
- Updating existing schematics to fix issues or to add functionality
- Adapting PCB designs to fit new specifications
- Using Spice for initial proof of concept simulations
- Participate in design reviews
- Writing Pic test programmes in C to exercise pcbs during test
- Writing PC test programmes in C++ (Embarcadero) for product test
- Soldering SMD and Through Hole components to build prototypes and assisting in production
- Assist in the build of products to be shipped to customers
- Build proof of concept circuits
- Learn and replicate build and test procedures accurately
- Use lab equipment to bench test hardware, perform root cause analysis, and perform general troubleshooting, documenting results of tests
- Assemble and evaluate the performance of prototype hardware and software
- Assist in the final testing of complete products to be shipped to customers
- Creating Bill of Materials for builds, revising existing BOMs
- Sourcing and analysing new and replacement components for prototypes and products. If a project requires a new component a suitable part must be sourced. This involves reading through datasheets to find the most suitable part from a supplier. The same applies for replacing discontinued components, in this case an exact match is required.
- Researching new and relevant technologies to be integrated into future products
Candidates must be proficient in MS Office, with particular emphasis on Excel and Access.
A flexible approach to helping out is essential in a small team. The successful applicant will be comfortable with assisting on occasional trade shows – primarily the build and breakdown of the stand, but possibly also attendance at the event itself, meeting some of our customers.
All candidates must be eligible to work within the EU. The working hours are Mon-Fri, 8am – 5pm. For more information, please email email@example.com